Monday, January 11, 2010

Who can marry me?

No, I'm not looking for a husband -- I've had one for 25 years this year! This post was prompted by several phone calls we received over the course of the last weeks asking about marriage ceremonies in Indiana; wondering who can perform such a ceremony and how to find someone.

If you don't have a home church or a minister or if you would prefer a civil ceremony, Brides a la mode can help you find the perfect officiant for your wedding vows.  The  law In the State of Indiana says

"Marriages may be solemnized by any of the following:
(1) A member of the clergy of a religious organization (even if the cleric does not perform religious functions for an individual congregation), such as a minister of the gospel, a priest, a bishop, an archbishop, or a rabbi.
(2) A judge.
(3) A mayor, within the mayor's county.
(4) A clerk or a clerk-treasurer of a city or town, within a county in which the city or town is located.
(5) A clerk of the circuit court."

What if you would like a family member to particpate in the ceremony?  Indiana law allows "Any person may conduct or participate in conducting a marriage ceremony. However, a marriage may be solemnized only by a person listed above."

Need more help?  Brides a la mode has a complete list of local courts' phone numbers as well as a lsting of clergy who are available to perform ceremonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment